Hi Del,
Here is my backpacking setup, and it all fits in a Lowepro Orion a/w
bag.
N70
24mm af-d f2.8
28-200mm af-d f4-5.6
105mm af-d micro f2.8
400mm af-d f5.6 Tokina
sb-28 speedlight and sc-17 ttl cord
Bogen 3021s tripod.
Stroboframe pro-3 ballhead

Basically, I can shoot the 28-200 zoom during daylight hours, when f5.6
is fine.  The 24mm f2.8 lenses cover sunrise/sunsets, the 105mm
closeup and headshots, and the 400mm is a bit heavy but I will
not complain.  I have my full frames that I would have said, If only
I had a 400!!!, had I left it in the car.
I also shoot Fuji Sensia 200 and Velvia, depending on the weather.
Total bag weight is about 18 lbs., but the Lowepro Orion carries it
on my hips with some shoulder support.  I find backpack styles put
more weight higher on my shoulders which I find tiring, especially
when climbing, and the orion aw has an attached daypack for other
light stuff.

PS, does anyone know why after a few months I get dropped from this
mailing
list?  I subscribe again and a few months later, bye-bye again.
Sigh, John