Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:04:51 PST
From: Michael Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB-26 3DMBFF [v04.n193/20]
Message: 20

This subject has probably been thrashed at this point, but I'm
still confused.  If the purpose of 3DMBFF is to balance flash
light with ambient light, then what's the point in using it?
<<<
3D MBFF is a superior way to employ fill flash.  The camera does all of
the calculations for you.

Fill flash has been around for many years.  Nearly all books on
photography discuss this topic to some extent.  Its purpose is to put
light on the dark area of the scene to reduce the contrast.  As you
probably know, film has a much more restricted range of tones than the
human eye.  So, a scene that looks OK to the eye may have dark areas
that the film cannot handle.  A solution (by no means the only solution)
is to add some light to reduce the contrast.

I must confess that I never mastered fill flash until I started using
the F3/SB16 combination.
Jim