Mike writes:
"This subject has probably been thrashed at this point, but I'm
still confused.  If the purpose of 3DMBFF is to balance flash
light with ambient light, then what's the point in using it?
This has to be a dumb question, I know, but what exactly do
you mean by "balancing" or "matching"?  If by "balance", you
mean "produce an amount of flash light that's equivalent in
brightness to the ambient light" then, surely, the flash light
won't be seen (as it's only as bright as the ambient light).
Can anybody clarify, please?"

Not sure if this answers Mike's question, but you could say that "balanced" or
"matched" fill flash is "not obvious".

Here's an example on the web:
http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Alley/5201/Images/StmSprngsFallsVert.jpg

This is our xmas card photo.  I handed the camera to a friendly tourist.  It was in AF
/ Program / 3DMBFF.  (N90s/SB-26/24-50mm AFD).  It's hard to discern that a flash was
used, but it brightened our faces.  If you examine the scene for light and shadow, you
can see that the ambient light is overhead and slightly behind us; a light haze has
softened the light.  The volunteer photographer tipped the camera to the right to make
the vertical; you can see the hard edged shadow my wife's arm makes on my chest.

(I'm a bit embarrased to admit that this photo was the favorite of our trip to
Colorado.  Out of 5 rolls of film, the best photo was taken by a stranger with my
camera.)

In short, 3DMBFF often allows the camera to be used as a "point and shoot" with very
good results.  A competent photographer can certainly do the necessary calculations
manually and arrive at the same combined exposure.
Todd Peach
B-XT02 Lab Administration
M/S 19-MF
Phone: (206) 662-0921  Fax: (206) 662-4540