>> If I use a true IR filter that lets in
        >>  no visible light, will the camera still
        >> be able to focus on the IR spectrum?

        > I'll try it tonight when I get home and
        > let you know what happens.  I bet it'll
        > work.

        I taped a small piece of 87C gel over the AF sensors
        in the bottom of the F5's mirror box, and taped another
        piece between the film rails inside the back (between
        the shutter and the film), and loaded up a roll of Kodak
        HIE.

        It appears to be working.  I haven't developed the film
        yet,  but the camera focuses approximately the right
        amount in front of the visible light image.

        I was using a 105mm/f2 DC to test it out.  I figured
        it's narrow depth of field would provide a good test
        of focusing accuracy.

        Even with an f2 lens, it takes a lot of IR to autofocus.
        With the subject in direct sunlight it focused pretty
        well, but any amount of cloud cover reduced the IR
        enough to prevent the AF from working at all.

        -Don