> To Nikon Macro experts! Is there anything to be gained, or lost, by using
> the 3T and 4T closeup lenses on a 50mm or wider prime lens, rather than Nos.
> 1 or 2? Nikon recommend the two element achromats for 55mm focal length and
> above in their literature. Any thoughts anyone?

John,

I generally use closeup filters only on longer lenses for the following
reasons:

- Closeup filters usually work better on longer lenses.  Since Nikon's
"T" closeup filters are better corrected for long lenses, I would use them
in preference to their single element No. 0, 1, and 2 filters.

- The advangates of the "T" filters are probably lost when used on
wide/standard lenses, which may be why Nikon recommends the cheaper single
element closeup filters. However, I imagine that the "T" filters are just
as good on wide lenses.

- Closeup filters give greater magnification with longer lenses. On wide
angle lenses a closeup filter will only give a slight increase in
magnification.  If you want to get closer with wide angle or standard
lenses, I suggest you consider lenses which can focus close without
filters such as:  AIS 55/2.8 micro (1/2 life size), or AF 35/2 or AIS
28/2.8 (both about 1/4 life size).

Roland.