1) The MD-12 socket pins operate by shorting. Nikon makes a little screw-in
button-type thing called an MR-3 Motor Terminal Release (SRP is $60; I got
one used from a camera store for about $30). The release can be pressed
with your finger/thumb, or you can screw a regular cable release into it
and use it that way if you choose.

The MR-3 can also attach to the N70 socket & be used the same way as above.

2) The absolute best polarizer for the 24-120 Nikkor lens (IMHO) is Nikon's
own 72mm circular polarizer. Yes, it's expensive, and oversize, but it
works very well. In my case, I also own the Tokina 80-400mm lens which it
also fits. On occasion you can find a good used one, but more likely you'll
have to buy it new. Owners don't seem to get rid of them often.

The biggest problem is carrying the thing around, unmounted. I use the
square plastic foam-padded box it came in. It's not elegant, but it works.

And now, my two cents (skip this if you wish):

This is a great digest, and y'all (we-all) are a great community. I've
derived beaucoup help from it, made some friends, shared some adivse/info
in a give-back. I have no problem reading about so-called off-topic things.
I'd rather read them (& discuss them) with y'all than with others I don't
identify with so readily. I know, cyberpeople are mostly our projections
anyway, but I like who I project you/us to be. Advice about mailorder
shops? New film? Problems with airport x-ray machines? Rant on!

Gratefully,

gil