Hey, stop bashing  the poor onmi bounce. Expensive
plastic, I wish I could by a good soft box for
under $20.00....;-)

Seriously, I have found in my editorial work that
they work great for me. However, I do not use it
as a solo light source most of the time. I use
three Nikon SBs two with Omni Bouncers one for
main on a stand connected to F-5 via 1 or 2 SC17
cords. The other is for fill, connected TTL via
the new SU-4 (which has worked flawlessly for me).
The third is also connected TTL via another SU-4
and used to light the background. I also usually
gel this flash a fun color to make the background
red or warm or blue. Furthermore, I  gel the main
and fill 1/4 and 1/2 warm or CTO to balance the
blue cast of the flash.

I can set this set up in a flash (sorry), no,
really in about a minute. I use it for quick
environmental portraits. I used to put soft boxes
on the SBs and found that I gained power by
switching to the Omni Bounce and using the at 90
degrees. I could shoot 100 ASA at 5.6 or 8 whereas
I was shooting at f4 with the soft boxes. The
quality difference in the light was minimal on
test chromes I shot before using them on a
consistent basis. Furthermore I wouldn't be able
to use the SU-4s with soft boxes because the boxes
would affect the light signals to it.  For more
important work I still use softboxes and an
extensive Lumedyene light kit, but for speed the
Omni Bounces have yet to let me down.

When I do use a flash on camera I use the flash
straight on and drag the shutter so the ambient
light is within a 1/2 or full stop under my e
exposure I also use it as I would a "bare bulb" by
bouncing it straight up or angled and it works
well. Or connected via SC17 cord and held in my
hand above the subject to cast any shadow down
behind the subject.

Just thought I'd counterbalance the other views.
If you want to see some examples, go to my web
page. All of the "People" shots that were lit were
lit with this kit.

Tony
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.absphoto.com/~absphoto

>I just did some test myself with the Omni Bounce
and find it pretty
>worthless overall.  You get much better results
doing a bounce off of a
>white card.  The Omni Bounce softens the shadows
slightly more than direct
>flash, however, no where near as soft as a bounce
off of a white card.

>Hope someone can shed some positive light on this
expensive piece of
>worthless plastic.

- -Bob

>I bought a Sto-fen Omni Bounce for my SB-26/F70
over Christmas.
>I'd heard very good things about it on the digest
and was
>expecting very nice results from using it.
>
>However, I can see no real difference between
using it and not
>using it. (snip)
>Am I using it correctly or is this just
over-rated, or where