Dave,

I have one.  My lens is sharp and the color balance is quite good for a single coated
lens, even with a sunny exposure (Hawaii in April) without a lens hood.  Using B & W
film - sharp and contrasty negatives.  Much better than my classmates shot (with other
brand cameras) for their photographic projects at school.

My only complaint with this lens; the viewing angle is too narrow for landscape
photography.  I still have mine and I have absolutely NO plans to sell or dispose of
it.  I found other uses for this lens.

I don't think you will be disappointed.  Best part - most of the single focal length
lenses made by Nikon in the pre-AI period took 52 mm accessories (filters, hoods).  A
consideration when it comes to cost of these accessories.