John Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there a difference in build quality between these two bodies?  Which is
>most rugged for withstanding the rigors of months of living overseas in
>a dusty tropical place, taking lots of pictures?  I think that I would
>prefer the interface of the N6006, but I do not have extensive experience
>with either.

I tried out a 6006 once.  I like the user interface.  It is very much like
my N90s which I found easy to operate.  Once I knew about the "clutch", I
could do anything that was possible.  One thing I found rather striking about
the 6006 is how slow the AF is.  I had heard it was slow but I had no idea
it would be as slow as it is.

I lived in the tropics for a while and lenses are very susceptible to fungal
infections.  Fungal growths ruined my three manual focus Minolta lenses I used
there.  Since the support Minolta and third party manufacturers give the MD
mount is very limited, I felt free to change systems.  Now I am a happy
Nikon user.

I don't know about your needs, but if I had to live there again (Micronesia),
I would buy an old Nikkormat, F, or a grey market FM2n with some oldie but goodie
used Nikkors and
rechargeable silica gel.  I don't know where you are going but it was pretty
rough where I went.  You would really have to baby these new ultra electronic
modern marvels there IMO.  There wasn't AF when I was there and I didn't
need it anyway.  Lithium batteries that sub N90s cameras
take are not available there either.  The batteries the Nikkormat, F, or FM2n aren't
available out there either but they last a long time (no motor drives or AF
to power).  I think the pair of S76's that I used in my Minolta XD-11 lasted for years.
I am sure the batteries of the FM2n would last even longer since the shutter
is mechanical.  Take an extra set and you will be set.  The original battery
would probably last the whole time.

David Johnson