<I ned a polarising filter for my 50mm f1.8 (52mm) and my 70~210mm f4/5.6
(62mm) mounted on my F90X.
Do I  require a circular Polarizing Filter for correct exposure or a linear
type? I've read the data but a clear wxplanation still eludes me.>

        Your AF camera requires a circ pol filter to insure proper AF/AE operation.

<With the nikon too expensive,do I buy the Hoya with a stepdown 62-52 ring?>

        That's certainly one way to accomplish your goal.

<Can anybody comment on the best soft focus filter for portraits (minus the
very expensive nikon>

        I use soft focus filters a lot, and IMHO which is best for you is among
the most personal and least objective decisions you will have to make. It's
like asking three people how much wasabi is enough. My personal favorite is
the Sailwind ProSoft #1 which leaves my proofs looking not soft-focus but
as if the're finished prints and not proofs at all.

< - here in Australia nikon gear retail translatea into US$1 = AUS$3 eg the
new 28~70 f2.8 AF-S retails at $3 300. 30 have ben ordered into the country
and 22 are on back order, due in March). The prices are so expensive I'm
very seriously thinking of buying from B&H in N.Y.
Henry, Are you listening? Your integrity and your firm's reputation would
seem to be above reproach.>

        I hear all, I see all :-)
        Thank you.

regards,