> >> I have used the F5 in a snow background
        >> and I need not make any compensation for
        >> perfectly exposed pictures. The RGB
        >> recognises the subject because of the
        >> color and differentiates it from the white
        >> snow and compensates automatically for the
        >> exposure.

        > IMO, the F5's color matrix metering works in
        > snow, not because it detected color in some
        > other thing and differentiated it from the
        > snow but mainly because it had a different
        > reflectance . . . . The F5 just detected the
        > contrast levels from readings in the different
        > segments and calculated the exposure.

        Not exactly.  You're correct that color probably
        isn't required to reliably detect snow -- the
        F100 would probably do as well -- but the F5
        doesn't consider color, reflectance and distance
        separately.  Strictly speaking, it doesn't
        'calculate' exposure at all.

        It considers all of the data at once and attempts
        to match the pattern in the data to the pattern in
        a scene that it's seen before (one that's in the
        famous 30,000 image database).  Then it just uses
        the exposure compensation value that was used for
        the 'remembered' scene that matches most closely.

        -Don