Kurt,

> I have some questions about a 50mm 1.8f Series E lens.  This sample is a
> manual focus lens with a tab inside the F mount that trips the aperature
> blades.  It has a 52mm filter ring.  There are no "ears" on the aperature
> ring.  Sorry about the lengthly description, but  I hope someone can
> recognize if this is an AI, AIS or something else type of lens.

Series E lenses have the same functionality as AIS (except for the lack of
"ears")

> 1)  I have a BR reversing ring that converts a 52mm filter thread into a F
> mount.  Would this  focal length and lens be suitable to reverse if I want
> to try some macro work?  I do not currently have any macro/micro lenses and
> would like to try macro on the cheap.  I also do not have any other lenses
> with a 52mm thread.

The 50/1.8 will work well when reversed. Reversing rings give greater
magnification with wide angle lenses.
However I suggest you get an extension tube such as nikon's PK-13. It will
fit on all of your lenses and is easier to use than reversing rings because
the focusing ring can still be used, and it retains the automatic diaphram.
With reversing rings you loose all automation so you have to do
everything manaully, including stopping down the lens. It's not difficult,
but takes more time.
The 50/1.8 is well suited for using on extension tubes. With the PK-13 you
will get greater than half life size.

> 2)  If I purchase the lens, can it be used on my N70 in a normal fashion
> for those rare occasions I might want to go totally manual with a 50mm
> prime?  What type of optical performance might I expect from this model
> lens if it can be used on my N70?

The series-E 50/1.8 has the same optics as the current AF 50/1.8, except for
the lens coating which is not as good. If you shoot into the light there may
be slight loss of contrast and more flare. Overall this lens is regarded as one
of the sharpest and best lenses in the Nikon system. On the N70 you will
only have center weighted metering with manual or aperture priority modes
(which is more than good enough for most shooting!)

Roland.