The TC 16A is a fine piece of Nikon gear -- IF and I repeat IF -- one
understands the purpose for which it was intended and the way to use it.

The TC 16A was made in the early years of AF bodies when there were very
few AF lenses in the Nikkor line. It contains a moveable element so it
can make MF lenses into AF lenses by doing the AF for them.

It will AF from close-focus to infinity for wide-angle lenses. It will AF
through a shorter range for telephoto lenses.

With telephoto lenses the technique is to focus the lens manually into
approximate focus, then activate the AF in the TC by pressing the shutter
button for sharp focus.  The electronic rangefinder also works to help
with manual focusing when using this TC.

The TC 16A will AF only with high-end Nikon bodies -- the 8008/s, N90/s,
F4 and F5 bodies -- but not with the 6006 and N70 bodies (although the
electronic rangefinder does work with these bodies and the TC 16A.

Moose says the sharpness of the TC 16A is equal to the sharpness of the
TC 14A.  I have one and I find it very useful. It costs about 1.5 stops
of light.

Hope this helps.

John Wall