The TC 16A is compatible with the N90s and, according to the original
instruction manual, with the 180mm f 2.8.

I'm not sure about the 300 mm f4. The TC 16A instruction manual does not
mention the 300 mm f 4 specifically as a compatible lens (it does
mention the 300 mm f 2.8 as a compatible lens).

The Advanced Nikon System book says that the TC 16A will AF with lenses
of f 3.5 or faster but is mechanically compatible with all focal lengths
of mechanical lenses. My guess is that the reason the 300 mm f4 is not
included in the compatibiluity list is that it is slower than f 3.5.

On the other hand, my TC 16A will AF great with my 70-210 f4 lens and
other lenses slower than f 3.5 so my guess is that Nikon is being
cautious here and that the TC 16A would work fine with the 300 f4.  But
that is just a guess.

Best,

John Wall

--
John N. Wall
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We are not revitalized or transformed as often by a change of
circumstances
as we are by a change of perspective.