>There's a very good new  Silver Pixel book out called The Nikon Field
>Guide, A Photographer's Portqable Reference. It is by Thom Hogan. Retail
>should be under 20.00. It's 250+ pages and I'd be very suprized if you
>don't find it worthwhile.

Moreover, Thom is a regular contributor to the list when he isn't off
backpacking and taking photos with his Nikon cameras!

Another worthwhile URL is: http://www.bythom.com/nfg.htm

A post from the archives:

            Date: 14-Oct-1998 20:17:31
            Subject: Nikon Field Guide corrections

            Well, the good news is that Silver Pixel has ordered a second
printing. The
            bad news is that I know that a few errors slipped in (see my
web page,
            www.bythom.com, where I keep track of corrections). So....if
any of you
            Nikon Digest folk have the book and have found an error or
something that's
            unclear, now's the time to let me know.

I personally think that this is going to be the wave of the future; dead
trees will be supplemented by online, up to date, information.

And yes, maybe some day, Nikon (and Canon, etc.) will wake up, answer our
prayers, and start putting manuals and other important information on their
web pages so that when a newbie can't figure out what to do with the used
camera (or new camera, for that matter) he/she will be able to go directly
to the FAQ and find out the info instead of repeating the same question on
rec.photo.equipment.35mm or here.

In the same respect, it would be very nice if newer list members would
kindly do a search in the archives before posting a question; many times
the answers are already there.  In the good old days, there was no search
engine, just archives...

Cheers,

Matt