>  1) Early Nikkors, non-AI, 135mm f3.5 (Q ca.
        >   1969)and 135mm f2.8 (Q ca.?).  What is the
        >  "conventional wisdom" on these two lenses.
        >  Which was/is considered better?

        The optical quality of the 135mm/f3.5 is very
        good -- comparable to the 105mm/f2.5 from the
        same era.

        I haven't used the f2.8, but the books I've read
        say that it's performance wide open isn't very
        good.

        > 2) How would one "restore" a focus ring which
        > s much paint rubbed off?  I have a lovely
        > 105mm 2.5 P lens that I'd really like to get back
        >  a black ring.  Can they be painted?  By whom?

        To do it right would cost more than the lens is
        worth, but If you just want it black, you can
        just tape of the rest of the lens, scuff the old
        paint with fine steel wool (so the new paint will
        stick) and spray it yourself.

        Some previous owner did that to my old 135mm/f3.5.
        It looks really bad, but it's black.

        -Don