I am currently using an AF 300/2.8 with a (mod'd ) TC-20E converter.
Because of the degraded image quality by the 2x TC, I am willing to try
my TC-16A with the 300mm.  I could compensate the lost magnification by
trying to get closer to my targets (birds).

Now I'm having the following question to those of you more familiar with
the TC-16A (like Mr. John Wall) and better mastering the optical
formulae:

If I drive the internal focusing elements of the TC-16A to one end (the
front end?), will the AF 300/2.8 focus closer than it would without the
TC-16A?  You would imagine that the TC-16A forms a (very short)
extension tube.

So, my intention is to set the TC-16A to one end, put the body and the
300mm in MF and focus the 300mm manually as close as possible.
Since I'm used to manual focus with the TC-20E, using the body in MF is
no problem.

Thanks, Ilkka