Hi Matt,

you wrote:

>I recently got a used f801s and have a concern about it's focusing.
>When I use the AF it seems to make little corrections before it gives
>focus confirmation and takes the shot.

Two parameters control the F801s AF system: AF mode and Drive mode.
AF mode is set by the little switch on the body near the lens mount:
the behaviour in S (single servo) mode is different from  C (continuous)
mode, not only for the obvious fact that you can shoot whenever you want
in C mode and only when the AF system detect the focus in S mode, but I
experienced with some slow lenses and with low contrast subjects that in
C mode the system keeps trying to focus with little adjustments.
In S mode with the same lenses and the same subject the focusing is less
uncertain, if not uncertain at all.

If you set the second parameter (Drive mode) in CL (pressing DRIVE
button on the left and rotating the dial on the right) and the AF mode
in C you turn on the Focus tracking mode (in the F801s is not
automatically activated by moving subjects).

I experienced that with slow lenses (i.e. long lenses 300/400 f5.6)
the focus tracking starts and makes little adjustments while focusing
still, low contrast subjects and is very sensible to camera shake.

I suggest you to do some test with these settings and hope it helps.

Bye all

Riccardo
Rome Italy