Hello,

        This is just an observation, but it seems that many Nikon users veer
toward two or three zooms because of the prices inherent in Nikon gear.
I have made a pretty nice little kit by AI'ing some old prime lenses,
but outside that, if I had to bankroll a set of new primes OR zooms, I
would have to mortgage the house.
        It also seems that for many on the list, buying the newest and
"coolest" is close to being a religion.
        For most, the major choices are dictated by by practicality, not
hypothesis.
        Adios,

                        Bill Hilburn Jr.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Danks) wrote:
>Curiously, I
>just was browsing a copy of  "The Nikon Compendium" by
Hillebrand
>and Hauschild, 1993. On p. 139 it states "This first
version of 9
>elements performed rather poorly and these early zoom
designs are
>responsible for the persistent prejudice to this very day,
>alleging that the image quality of zoom lenses is
considerably
>lower than that of fixed focal length lenses."
>I still feel that way. Despite my satisfaction with the old
>80-200 that I still use on occasion, I can't bring myself
to buy
>a Nikon zoom . . . all because of the 43-86mm I bought back
in
>1976 and traded away back in 1981. Call me a crazy old
fossil but
>I still "suspect" zooms.
>I was at least gratifying to see in print the
acknowledgement
>that I was not alone in being "poisoned" against zooms by
this