> Does it really make sense for Nikon to make an
        > AF-S version of the 20-35?   The autofocusing is
        > fast already

        Maybe.  It would be a nice option -- it's
        inconvenient to have to switch the lens to manual
        to override autofocus, and on too many lenses, you
        also have to switch the camera to manual focus.
        AF speed isn't as important an advantage with most
        lenses.

        The problem is that that bit of functionality won't
        increase the worth of the lens as much as Nikon
        would increase the price.

        If Nikon wanted to stay even with the competition,
        they'd have to replace their pro-grade lenses with
        AFS versions, at a price not more than 10% above
        the current version.

        I'm not foolish enough to believe that there's any
        chance that that's what Nikon will actually do, so
        I expect the change to AFS will happen slowly, if
        it happens at all.

        Still, it's not a big deal.  I'm more concerned with
        the glass than with the bells and whistles -- otherwise
        I'd have jumped ship a long, long, time ago.

        -Don