If you had the camera set to AF then i am not suprised it didn`t work.
Was there a lot of snow about. Reflections mess up the AF system. Your
camera doesn`t require air to operate and therfore the moderately thin air
at 4,300 will not effect it. However the tempreture will make a difference
on the optics.

James Grove
On the great bug hunt - Beta testing Windows 2000
JPG Photography
Pumori `99
M.Blanc `96
Elbrus `95