> For tripod work I thought it essential to use a cable release to help
> eliminate camera shake. Why on earth has this practice been discouraged on
> modern cameras by the lack of a socket?

Apart from the entry level cameras (F50 & F60), when the cable release
socket is suppressed, it is replaced by an electronic release socket,
which serves the same purpose.
I agree that electronic cable releases from Nikon are absurdly
expensive, but I find myself using the self timer (set to 2 seconds)
most of the time with my F601, even though it has a traditional cable
release socket.

>From the AF Nikon cameras, the latter have a traditional cable release
socket: F4(on the MB21 battery pack, if I remember correctly), F601 and
possibly F5.

Hope this helps,

Nicolas.