>I'm suffering from the same problem. I bought my F100 last January here
>in Switzerland. When using a Sigma 70-300mm and focussing at 70mm,
>the subject is not sharp when zooming to 300mm. If I focus at 300mm
>(the subject is now sharp) and I zoom back to 70 and focus again, the
>camera re-focuses and the subject become unsharp again.
>This is exactly conform the article in the latest issue of Chasseur
>d'Images.
>By the way, the problem doesn't occur when using my Nikon 35-105mm.
>It looks like a bug to me and I reported it to the Nikon Service.
>Regards,
>Toine

The problem you're describing does not seem to be a problem with your
F100. I think it is more likely to be with the lens design. This type of
lenses
are called Varifocal lens. It  mean that it does not maintain focus through
out its zoom range. As you've described, it means that, something in focus
at the 300mm lens will not be in focus when you zoomed to the 70mm lens.

You can test this out by focusing at something at the 300mm end, you should
see that the object is in sharp focus. Now zoom out to the 70mm end WITHOUT
CHANGING THE FOCUS. The object should be be out of focus, But now zoom
back to the 300mm end, and the object should come back into focus.

Nowadays, more lenses are Varifocal Lenses because the slight disadvantage
have it have been more then compensated for by AutoFocus.

This phenomena does now occus with your 35mm-105mm Nikon lens is because
the design of this lens is NOT VARIFOCAL ! :-) that's all, it's not a bug in
your F100.

A few people responded to this mentioning about incompatability with 3rd
party lenses
as those lenses would hunt forever without finding focus, that may be true,
this is not
so for your case.

Actually, a lens being varifocal does not mean it is inferior, the highly
regarded Canon
lens EF 28-105 (correct me if I'm wrong) is actually a varifocal. Canon has
many
lenses in this range which are varifocal. BUT, these lenses can maintain
focus
throught out the focal range with this thing Canon calls SIC (Super Internal
Cam),
I think I'm wrong with the name here, but anyway it sounds something like
that.

It is a system that re-adjust the focus when zooming is done to compensate
for it begin
Varifocal . Actually it is quite simple, I guess when you turn the zoom
ring, there are
also some gears that are connected to it to re-adjust the focus as well.

Cheers
RueyLoon
'I'm a poor photographer staying in a mountainous jungle'