On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:17:47 +1300 "Curfman, Donald (GEIS)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       > I have heard that Canon builts a 50/1.0,
>       > is it possible to use an adaptor for this
>       > lens.
>
>       While most of us applaud Nikon for maintaining
>       the same lens mount for all these years, this
>       is one area where we have to give something up
>       because of it.
>
>       The rear element of the shorter lenses sits so
>       close to the mount that the inside diameter of
>       the mount limits the maximum aperture possible.
>
>       I don't it's possible to achieve f1.0 with a
>       50mm lens given the current Nikon mount.

I have in front of me a Contax/Zeiss advertisment that says they used to build a
50/0.7 Planar which NASA used to photograph the dark side of the moon.  I'm not
sure of the Contax mount size, but I doubt it is any bigger than Canon's - it is
probably a little smaller.  So if Contax can build an f/0.7 lens, I'm sure Nikon
could build an f/1.0 lens.