"Curfman, Donald (GEIS)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    > I have heard that Canon builts a 50/1.0,
>    > is it possible to use an adaptor for this
>    > lens.

>    While most of us applaud Nikon for maintaining
>    the same lens mount for all these years, this
>    is one area where we have to give something up
>    because of it.

Let's assume that a 50/f1.0 is impossible with the F mount.  I think far
more people have benefited from Nikon keeping the F mount than would
have benefited from Nikon changing mounts so very fast very expensive
extremely low volume lenses could be made.

I doubt that Nikon's loss of its pro market share to Canon was primarily due to
it not being able to make the fastest lenses assuming it really is impossible
with the F mount.
I suspect Nikon market share loss is due to Nikon's conservative approach to
incorporating new
technologies.  Had Nikon changed the lens mount and made the fastest lenses
while keeping all else the same, they probably would have lost even more
market share to Canon.

David Johnson