In a nutshell, the pre-flashes are designed to tell the camera
something about the reflectivity of the scene being photographed.
In order to do this, it has to make use of some distance information--
otherwise it couldn't tell any difference between a dark object right
in front of the camera and a mirrored surface much further away.
If you bounce the flash, there is no longer any relationship between
the distance to the subject and the distance the pre-flashes have to
travel, so the camera can't extract any information from the pre-flashes.