Now, I have a question concerning the hood. I remember reading that the
original hood is no longer available. Are there any other hoods that fit
this lens? Under what circumstances will a hood become indispensable?
And finally, is there a reader among you that has bought this lens new?
I would like an estimate for the production date of my sample. The
serial number is 1916xxx. Thank you for your time.
<<<<<<<<<<

When to use a hood? In my humble opinion, always. You'll never know when
stray light bouncing off lens elements -- especially in a 12-element zoom
like the 75-150 -- could cause flare or otherwise reduce contrast.

Among current Nikon hoods, I've found the HS-7, originally released for the
58 mm Noct-Nikkor and now recommended for the 105 AF Micro, to offer the
best protection without vignetting on the 75-150 Series E. The HR-2, also
for the Noct-Nikkor, costs much less and will work, though it is shorter,
providing less protection.

According to Peter Braczko's "Nikon Pocket Book", Second Edition, serial
numbers on the 75-150 Series E begin with 1790801 (though that number seems
to me to have one too many digits). My 75-150 E has a serial number
starting with 305xxxx.

The early 75-150 E had a black plastic ring to grip when mounting. On later
versions, that was changed to a more rugged chrome ring (and boxes with the
updated lens came in had a green dot to identify them at least in the
U.S.). According to Braczko's book, "Except for a modified housing to cut
down on internal reflections, specifications correspond to those of its
predecessor."

Larry