> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:12:07 -0800
> From: Clifton Painter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re:  Fast Nikkor [v04.n312/4] [v04.n313/15]
> Message: 15
>
> > I believe Nikon can make 50/1.0 lens or may be it's
> > already on the way ?
>
> As was pointed out previously and quite correctly, the speed of certain
> Nikon lenses is limited by the diameter of the old F mount which is
> considerably smaller than Canons EF mount. That is why you see fast
> lenses such as the 200/1.8 and 50/1.0 from Canon and not from Nikon.

        I still don't buy into this argument.  First of all, it's not
        logical; just because a lens doesn't exist in a certian mount
        doesn't mean it CAN'T be made.  Nikon had a 300mm f2 -- no such
        thing from Canon, at least not in their EF mount.  Does that
        mean they couldn't?  No.  By extrapolation, does it mean Nikon
        could do a 50/1.0? I don't know.

        Until someone shows me an equation that says for a given focal
        length and max. aperture your rear element MUST be so big, I'll
        have no reason to believe that Nikon CAN'T make a 50/1.0.

Chris
--
All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare,  / Christopher Somers
said a wise man.                                        / Rise Technology