> Anyone any thoughts on comparison of lens sharpness versus film? What I mean
> is - if I have a 55mm micro Nikkor (renowned for its sharpness, and ignoring
> close focusing advantage) and use 800ASA film -should I bother about the
> lens quality? Why not use a lesser 50mm lens (e.g. Series E)?

John,
I've wondered about the same thing - what is the limiting factor for
sharpness - film or the lens (assuming other factors which reduce
sharpness such as camera shake are controlled) ?

Fast films are grainier and not as sharp as slower films. I imagine that
the extra sharpness of lenses such as the 55 micro will be wasted
on fast film.

For what it's worth, the "lesser" series-E 50/1.8 has the same optics as
the current AF 50/1.8, which is regarded as one of the sharpest lenses.
Roland