Just catching up on my digests and didn't notice a reply to the
     request for ideas for timing very long exposures (hours). I would
     suggest either a countdown timer or normal alarm clock. That way you
     can set any length of time and if you fall asleep, will be woken up!
     Probably cost about 1000 quid if made by Nikon!

     To the person who suggested using the F5 custom setting to disable AF
     on the shutter button when you want to find focus and leave it set
     (e.g. portraits)-what a great idea! It didn't occur to me at all to
     use the AF start button. This will help my portrait work and I now
     have a use for the seemingly pointless AF start buttons!

     Stewart.