I am grateful to Paul Bradforth and others for their contributions to my
question. I mentioned 800ASA film really to cite the extreme. I don't think
I've ever used such a fast film, and certainly couldn't see myself using it
in the flower/plant photography I do most of the time!  Although the grain
does show, these fast films are almost too good - they don't supply the
obvious graininess I might look for to produce a photo in an "aesthetic",
arty sort of way; well not without uprating it considerably.

What interests me more is the decision over whether to use Fuji Velvia wide
open at f/2.8 or Fujichrome 400 stopped down to f/8, particularly when I go
without my tripod and it's a dull English November day and I'm working at
1/30th second. Which combination gives the sharpest results?

On a slightly different note, over the years I have acquired a 50mm Series
E, a 50mm Nikkor AI and now a 55mm MicroNikkor AIS. I recently took a photo
of a page of magazine print from 50cm distance using each lens, camera on
tripod, Fuji Velvia. Looking at the resulting slides on a light box with a
Nikon x8 lupe, there was little, if any, difference between the two 50mm
lenses, but the MicroNikkor was definitely sharper. However, I'm not
convinced there is such a large difference at greater distances.