> Does anyone have any experience with
        > a Nikkor P(?) 105mm/2.5 converted to
        > AI? With an FM2?

        Yeah, I've got a really old one with the silver
        filter ring that's been converted with the Nikon
        kit.  It's nice and sharp.  It's not quite as contrasty
        as the later versions with multi-coating, but it's
        decent.

        > Is there any way to figure out if one
        > of these lenses was converted by Nikon
        > or using one of the earlier kits provided
        > by Nikon

        Sure.  The aperture rings in the  Nikon kits had a
        second set of aperture numbers for the ADR readout
        in the viewfinder, the meter shoe is turned around
        backwards (screws towards the objective), the AI
        coupling surface has a larger diameter than the rest
        of the aperture ring, and there's a little square block
        opposite the AI ridge that's supposed to hook up with
        that old gizmo that converted the F2 to shutter priority
        automatic -- In other words, they look just like the
        aperture ring on an original AI lens.

        The basement jobs just have a notch cut into the old
        aperture ring to index with the camera's AI 'finger'.
        If the notch is in the right place, they work.

        -Don