The camera and lens at $400 isn't much of a "deal", I bought the body from
B&H for $300 for my fiancee, she uses it with my 50mm lens. The 35-80 isn't
one of Nikon's better lenses, so you may want to just get the body and add a
different lens. Nikon makes a 50mm f1.8 autofocus lens that sells for $90,
if I didn't already have the other 50mm, I would have gotter her that lens.
As far as it being a good place to start........I'm not sure. The F3HP is
arguably the "pinnacle" of Nikon manual cameras. The N60 is Nikon's budget
model, so you may be a little disappointed with the build quality. On the
other hand, the N60 has a modern meter and autofocus system and it does work
pretty well. My fiancee has been using hers in program mode and has probably
used a dozen rolls of black and white film since she got it, no bad
surprises, and she likes having the built in flash.

Eric Edelman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.edelmans.org
<<<<while shopping at my local Wal-Mart,
I discovered a surprise in the camera dept, namely a
Nikon N60 with
35-80 mm f4-5.6D AF Nikkor lens listed as "New Item -
$399.97."
My question of the list is: Is this a
good deal or not?  I presently use an F3HP for most of
my stuff, plus an F2AS (my true first love in life), but I've
been thinking about getting into AF.  Is this a good place to start?>>>>>