Hi Christopher,

I have the manual focus version of the Tokina 100-300mm f4, and it is one of
the best zoom lens I have. I think the AF version has the same optics. I
have tested it against the Nikkor 50-300 f4.5 ED and prime Nikkor lenses. My
results were :

Best = prime lens, in terms of contrast and distortion

2nd = Nikkor 50-300 f4.5 ED, contrast as almost as prime lenses.  It's been
given top marks by other people as well.

3rd (but not by much) = Tokina 100-300 f4.0, very slightly warm but less
distortion than the Nikkor. It been rated as 'excellent' and 'best in class'
by a number of magazines.

The Tokina is half the weight of the Nikkor, but you still need a
mono/tri-pod to hold it. It's filter ring is 'only' 77mm compared to 95mm of
the Nikkor zoom.

I have kept both the Nikkor and Tokina zooms because the Nikkor is too heavy
for some occasions.

Hope this helps.

Happy shooting,

Sover