John:  Thc 300/f4 is not listed in the TC16A's instructions,
because that lens did not yet exist when those instructions
were printed.

I have used the TC16A with the 300f4 and it works just fine,
on either the F4s or N90.

don ferrario
http://www.epix.net/~ferrario

>Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:46:42 -0500
>From: "John N. Wall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: TC 16A [v04.n160/33]
>Message: 33.
>
>The TC 16A is compatible with the N90s and, according to the original
>instruction manual, with the 180mm f 2.8.
>
>I'm not sure about the 300 mm f4. The TC 16A instruction manual does not
>mention the 300 mm f 4 specifically as a compatible lens (it does
>mention the 300 mm f 2.8 as a compatible lens).

The Advanced Nikon System book says that the TC 16A will AF with lenses
of f 3.5 or faster but is mechanically compatible with all focal lengths
of mechanical lenses. My guess is that the reason the 300 mm f4 is not
included in the compatibiluity list is that it is slower than f 3.5.

On the other hand, my TC 16A will AF great with my 70-210 f4 lens and
other lenses slower than f 3.5 so my guess is that Nikon is being
cautious here and that the TC 16A would work fine with the 300 f4.  But
that is just a guess.