Now, I know that the finder coverage is about 90 %, but I have always
assumed the cropping to be symmetrical. I carried out a small
experiment and I can confirm that it is not! Referring to lanscape
orientation, left and right cropping is about the same amount.
However, the cropping at top is about 50 % larger than at the
bottom, which accounts for the left-right asymmetry I noticed in
my portrait-orientation shots.

The experiment was pretty simple and not extremely precise, but it
works all right: I put some cm-scales (eg. a ruler) on a wall in
a cross, aligned the film plane with the wall, centered the lens
on the cross and took a picture (use slides, prints will get cropped
by the lab) from a suitable distance (100mm from 2 meters, 50mm from
1 metre in my case). More pictures with more lenses means better
statistics... I had the camera on a tripod of course, and before
moving the setup I noted the ruler readings at the four edges.
When the slides came back I calculated the differences and compared
results from using the two lenses. No differences between the 100 and
the 50mm. And very unmistakeably an asymmetry in the vertical direction.

Now questions:
- Is this asymmetry normal for the FE2 (would be pretty stupid!)?
- Is it found on other Nikon bodies - any experiences anybody?
- If it is not normal, what could then be the cause and would there be
any remedy? My best guess is a misalignment of the mirror, since it is in
the vertical direction.

Hope to find help here!

Thomas Dall