I am about to get an AF-S 300/2.8 to use with my F-5.  For those of you who
have this combination, how do you carry it when moving about?  Photo
backpacks are not an option (more on this below).  I am thinking of a Domke
J-series long lens case.  No one sells these where I live, so I will be
ordering sight unseen from B&H.

Ideally, I would like the option of keeping my F5 mounted on the lens.  The
Domke cases are supposed to allow this, but the length of the J-300 case is
something like 12 inches, which is too short for the 300/2.8 (10 inches)
plus F5, and a 1.4X extender (should I wish to keep the extender mounted).
Therefore, I am thinking of ordering the J-400.  Anyone else tried this?

The purpose of taking this route is so that when I want to carry several
lenses, tripod, etc., I will put the 300 in the Domke bag, then put this in
my large daypack (I already have three superb backpacks of various sizes,
one Lowe, one Arcteryx,  and one McHale, so I am not going to be getting a
photo backpack...I am looking for a way to transport the 300 in a regular
backpack).

Also, this gives me flexibility to carry just the F5 and 300 (plus maybe a
1.4x) slung over my shoulder in the Domke bag when I don't want to carry
anything else (except a tripod).  An example of this use might be for
portraits outdoors, or short trips from the car.  So it looks like the J-400
would do the job, or would it?

Thanks for any insight.

Rick