I also agree with @jzakiya. I personally have only experience with the windows
env (I have to use it on daily base (job)) - I used linux since 1994 for about
10 years but finally I throwed it away cause of the awful desktop. Today I cant
speak about it because of lacking experience; I never tried it again.

The nim installer on windows works very well and out of the box (no extra
settings needed). If you like to use your own gcc I recommend the tdm-gcc
(works also out of the box but you have to set your cli-path). Also It works
without tweaks with the cl.exe (VS2017 community edition for instance) I never
got nim running with the gcc of the mingw-installation-manager (the gcc
compiler check from nim always failed). I think the docs are very good but
sometimes outdated (for instance the examples) but for me its normal. I
searched also a while for the nimscript feature of the compiler (the compiler
help says nothing about that) and within the nimscript-docpage its a litte bit
hidden).

The overall feeling for me is that Nim is a very very nice designed and
architected piece of software (design by committee is awful) and not burdened
with any tweaks. the nimcode itself is fun to read (especially from others and
thats not normal for any computer language). And also the new book is very good
and worth reading. The idea of the integrated build-system is a big plus (I
hate ant, maven and so on especially when the buildscript is more complex than
the software itself which needs to be build)