> For example, if I create a local seq or string variable on a procedure A, and
> that variable is only used within that procedure A or at most is used by
> procedures called within that procedure A, will it’s memory be freed
> immediately when the procedure A is done (and before other code is executed)?

Correct, it's very close to how C++ works.

> That is, are there separate, non deterministic garbage collection events? Is
> this suitable for embedded, hard real-time code?

Yes, embedded, hard real-time code is supported and was a design goal. There
are no separate GC events.

> Also, does this require anything that is not in nim v1.0?

It adds a `.cursor` pragma that v1.0 can emulate via the `ptr T` type.
Everything else is in the language spec for v1.0, but the implementation is in
the Nim development branch. You need to get a nightly build to get it.