On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Daniel Owen <danielowe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As another person suggested 5 Ghz is much less crowded. You said you had
> tried an N router. Are you certain that the N router was using 5 Ghz
> exclusively? There are a fair number of N routers that use both 2.4 Ghz and
> 5 Ghz for N. There are even a few that are 2.4 Ghz exclusively. The tipoff
> (outside of reading the specs) on the exclusively 2.4 Ghz models is that
> they don't have 802.11a backward compatibility since they have no 5 Ghz
> radio. I would make sure that the N router you are using is only using 5
> Ghz. Also have you tries both 20-MHz and 40-MHz? All 40-MHz really is is two
> adjacent channels bonded together.In theory the router is supposed to shift
> traffic to the less interfered band if one band is getting heavy
> interference.
>
> The reason that 5 Ghz is superior to 2.4 Ghz outside of the limited use is
> that there are more channels available. With 2.4 Ghz (802.11 b and g) you
> have 11 channels but only 3 are non-overlapping. Throw on top of that that
> at least one or two of your neighbors have probably decided to use one of
> the in between channels because it is "clear" and you have a few neighbors
> who are interfering with two of the non-overlapping channels. Each channel
> overlaps 2 channels above and 2 channels below so for example channel 1 uses
> channel 1-3, Channel 4 overlaps with 2-6, channel 6 overlaps 4-8 etc. As you
> can see a user using channel 4 overlaps with channel 1 and channel 6 making
> them a very annoying neighbor. Channels 1,6 and 11 are the only
> non-overlapping channels. With 5 Ghz wireless (a and sometimes n) you have
> 22 non-overlapping channels to choose from. If you are using 40-MHz all 5
> Ghz you will use 2 adjacent channels but you are still talking about a much
> larger number of available channels. Unless you are in an extremely densely
> populated area you should be able to find some available 5 Ghz space that is
> either open or has limited interference.
>
> Another option you might look at is setting our network card to 802.11b
> only. 802.11b can deal with a lot more noise than 802.11g.
>
> Good luck

Daniel,
  Thanks for the suggestions.  Yes, I am sure that the router has 5Ghz and
it was using 5 Ghz.  Several reasons I know this is that the interface shows
it and I have tried several laptops with the ability to restrict to which
band to connect to.  No significant difference.  I have tried 20 and 40 Mhz
settings and, if anything, 20 Mhz is more stable.  I do still need to run a
net stumbler (or equivalent) scan of the neighborhood, but I have been too
busy recently to do so.  Maybe this weekend will see some free time come my
way.

Thanks again and MAIH...

Andy