On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 06:10:50PM -0600, Howard wrote:

> Well let's restate my premise a bit.  My /etc/sysconfig/network reads
> correctly to me but not to some process in the system.
>
> NETWORKING=yes
> NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
> HOSTNAME=host.domain.tld
> GATEWAY=198.168.1.1

        Yep, looks sane.  If you don't need IPv6 you may wish to
        consider setting NETWORKING_IPV6=no; this won't remove
        kernel support but it will prevent IPv6 addresses from
        being added and such.

> # Intel Corporation 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> HWADDR=00:08:74:4F:3E:8A
> IPADDR=192.168.1.5
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> ONBOOT=yes

        Have you double checked the HWADDR to ensure that it's correct?

        This is very straight forward and should be working fine; the
        only possible issue I see is if HWADDR is incorrect and if that
        is the case then it would definately cause ifup and friends to
        fail.

                                                        John

-- Frank Zappa (1940-1993), composer, musician, film director