John R. Dennison wrote:

        /etc/sysconfig/network is not correct if you have to manually
        add a default route :)  Are you sure you have a GATEWAY=a.b.c.d
        statement in there?

                                                        John

Well let's restate my premise a bit. My /etc/sysconfig/network reads correctly to me but not to some process in the system.

NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
HOSTNAME=host.domain.tld
GATEWAY=198.168.1.1

ifcfg-eth0:

# Intel Corporation 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
HWADDR=00:08:74:4F:3E:8A
IPADDR=192.168.1.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
ONBOOT=yes

Thank you again for taking a look at these annoyances.

Howard