On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 06:14:59PM -0600, Ken Barber wrote:

> If you're seeing this, it means that your card isn't being configured
> on startup.  Not by DHCP, not by /etc/sysconfig/whatever, not by anything.

        Umm, not necessarily.  RHEL and respins add a route for
        169.254.0.0/16 to the primary interface.  If you wish to
        prevent this behavior add "NOZEROCONF=yes" to the definition
        file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

> Interestingly, I had pretty much the same issue when I tried Fedora 12
> on my old tower PC here.  But CENT 5.4 works fine.  Never found out why, I
> just switched to CENTOS.  Maybe it had to do with the Evil NetworkManager,
> which was installed by default on Fedora but not on CENT.

        I've not done non-kickstart installs for years and I
        specifically exclude NetworkMangler as I'm pretty sure
        it's installed by default in a gui install
        (network-manager-gnome gets installed in a Gnome environment
        which calls it in as a dep).

                                                        John

--
Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the
names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.  And all that we

-- Harlan Ellison (27 May 1934-), American author and media critic, Paladin
of the Lost Hour (1985)