How tacky is it to rejigger and trim top posted replies?  :)

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Daniel Owen <danielowe...@gmail.com <mailto:danielowe...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I think I remember Chris saying that he had multiple Comcast
    connections maybe this is true for other people on the list as well.
    If you have multiple Comcast Internet  connections, in your
    experience not withstanding a backhoe incident when one connection
    goes down does the other Comcast connection typically stay up or do
    they typically go down in unison? I'm looking for redundancy options
    and I'm trying to figure out if multiple Comcast connections buys me
    anything beyond bandwidth. I already have Internet through a couple
    of phone carriers and I am hoping for something that can bring in a
    fast connection for less outlay than metro-e or bonded Ts.

    Thanks

Chris McQuistion wrote:
> Curt already chimed in about our setup, but I'll chime in with my two
> cents...
>
> You may want to call Comcast and find out if they have the new DOCSIS 3
> available in your area.  It recently became available in our neck of the
> woods and we actually switched from two regular cable modems (16 mpbs
> down, 2 mbps up @ $90/month) to one connection that is 50 mbps down and
> 10 mbps up @ $190/month.
>
> As far as ease of use, this is superior to having the two connections.
>  In our experience, we didn't ~often~ have both connections go down at
> the same time.  Usually just one connection or the other would have
> problems.
>
> Chris

Daniel,

What I glean from Curt's response is that the principal point of failure with Comcast (and AT&T DSL for that matter) is the Network Terminator (aka "modem"). This failure is caused by nausea coming from either your internal network or the upstream; doesn't really matter. Our good friend, Tilghman Lesher, also suffers Comcast for broadband and he configured an X10 Firefly unit so that he could call on his AT&T landline and power cycle the "modem" remotely.

Chris and Curt at Watkins have a very diverse traffic pattern which lends itself to multiple network trunks. Part of your analysis has to consider your route table and load balancing requirements of your traffic. I'm not doubting your abilities beyond saying that _I_ don't want to manage that route map. ;)

Price points are good observations: Two 16 down / 2 up for ~$180 per month (plus tax, title and license); one 50 down / 10 up for ~$190 per month; one 4.5 mps up and down fiber for ~$1000.00 per month (haven't checked this recently). Comparing Comcast to metro fiber is not that straight forward.

YMMV, YKWIMV

Howard White