----- Original Message -----
> One question Howard had at the meeting was "GRUB 2 why?". I took it to
> mean "Why abandon the original GRUB and start over?" (If not, then
> this doesn't
> apply.) According to GRUB FAQ,
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html
>
> #1 The GRUB we have loved for the past several years (now called GRUB
> Legacy) was rewritten because it "became unmaintainable, due to messy
> code and design failures.", and requests to extend the scope were not
> easily done
> with the existing code, so it was rewritten.
>
> Their A to #2 is not too comforting... "It is usable, but we are still
> making incompatible changes from time to time." (The page was updated
> about 24 hours ago.)

To ease your comfort problem here is to really think about how often you
have to choose a boot loader. This usually only happens if the distro
you are installing has options. If you use Ubuntu or a variant, it isn't
likely you are choosing.

Looks like they release slowly as well.

Part of what I like about grub 2 was getting more /boot options. It did
take a bit to find all the new configs and such, but once I knew them
it wasn't bad.

--
Steven Critchfield cri...@basesys.com