On 07/30/2010 11:55 AM, Chris McQuistion wrote:
When it comes to Linux, I always recommend Nvidia-based video cards.  ATI
has a very bad history of driver support in Linux.

Gotcha, I've narrowed my search to cards with an nVidia chipset.

I've also just noticed an issue with the case & PCIe slot. I've got a Dell 5150 and the motherboard seems to be the BTX form factor. Inside the case there is room for cards that have fans and use 2 case openings, however, due to the position of the PCIe slot relative to the case openings, I only have 1 opening available. So, I can either limit my search to cards that only require 1 case opening, or I can also include cards that require 2 openings but can be modified by cutting off part of the metal that fills the opening. There's plenty of ventilation near there, but just not an actual slot.

So, it's looking like the GeForce GTS 250 is going to be the best chipset I'll be able to use, and many of those cards will still require hacking the end a bit. Hmmm... the GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-768I has a GeForce GTX 460 and I think it would fit if I hacked the end. But it's $200. Tempting though.

JMJ