On 08/18/2010 02:10 PM, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:

Alarm set... 23:59:45 left...

.... and I'm back.  Windows 7 is installed and my GRUB menu is restored.

Geez, that seemed to be an unnecessarily "PITA" experience. It's probably my own fault though, as usual. LOL

When I first used the Mandriva DVD it took a couple of re-boots to get to the rescue console. Not sure what was up with that. Once I got the rescue console open, GRUB kept giving me an "ERROR 15 file not found" error for my 'stage1' file.

I also tried SystemRescueCD to boot into the existing Linux install, but it couldn't find the stage1 file either.

I did a bit of googling and saw mention of needing to reset the boot flag since the Windows install sets its partition to be bootable. So, I used SystemRescueCD to reset that flag on my boot partition.

Went back to the Mandriva DVD and got back to the Rescue Console. Selected "re-install bootloader" which seemed to work except it wanted to use hd0,2 for some odd reason. (that's my FAT32 partition for shared Linux/Windows files.) So, I exited the GRUB console, went to the standard rescue console, and re-entered the GRUB console so that I could specify the root partition manually.

That finally let me boot into my original GRUB menu instead of directly into Windows. However, the GRUB menu STILL showed the wrong root partition for my Linux install. So, I manually edited the GRUB entries and finally booted to Linux.

Once safely in Linux, I manually made changes to menu.list to specify the correct Linux root partition and also added the Widows 7 entry.

So, I think this is all in good shape... finally.

But, during some of my thrashing around and trial/error, I think I changed my video driver and may need to reinstall the nVIDIA driver. geez.

There was one thing that confused me for a while. In the GRUB console, you're setting the "root" partition. However, what it really needs to know is where the grub directory is. GRUB looks for /boot/grub/stage1 and /grub/stage1. So, if you have both a "/" and a "/boot" partition, pointing GRUB to your "root" partition will fail because your /grub/stage1 is actually in your "boot" partition. I think my finally understanding this was the beginning of making this work. In hindsight, I don't think the boot flag was the cause of my issues, but perhaps that plays a part?

I hope this clarifies something for the next person who comes along. :-) If you have questions, ask them soon while it's sort of fresh in my mind. I'll have forgotten it by tomorrow. LOL

JMJ