I think you may be running into a marketing problem. On windows they gloss over
what is encrypted as they are like linux and need some portion not encrypted to
boot from.

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Encrypted-Root-Filesystem-HOWTO/preparing-system.html

On linux systems you will encrypt partitions, and you will still need to leave
enough on an unencrypted partition to boot from and prepare the system to start
decrypting.

So if you are used to making a 500-200mb boot partition, you can cram a few
different kernels and the initramdisk on the one partition to start up, ask for
a decryption key and then mount the rest of the drives.