It will give you true console access by way of a "remote console plugin".
But, though I have not really tried it, it also supports (through manual
setup) guest VM console access using VNC protocol.  The remote console
plugin works pretty good though and you can create "shortcuts" to launch
the plugin to a given guest VM right from the desktop without having to go
through the web interface.   One thing I particularly like about the
remote console plugin with windows guests is that, once you setup Vmware
Tools on the windows guest, the remote console will dynamically resize the
guest VM "console desktop" to whatever dimension you grow or shrink the
remote console window.  There is a remote console plugin for linux
desktops as well (under firefox).  A linux guest's desktop, though, does
not seem to dynamically resize the same way a windows guest's does.
Still, handy stuff.  Note that Vmware server appears to be on a sunset
track though.  With newer versions of linux, vmware server will probably
continued to gradually have operational problems as VMware is no longer
updating it to keep pace with linux and windows changes on the host end.
Getting VMware server to run under Windows 7 (64bit in my case) was
touch-n-go and, while I got it to mostly work, it is quirky.  Shame
really.

Mark J. Bailey        Jobsoft Design & Development, Inc.
104 Arlington Place, Suite 100        Franklin, TN 37064
EMAIL: m...@jobsoft.com      WEB: http://www.jobsoft.com/
VOICE:(615)904-9559 FAX:(615)904-9576 CELL:(615)308-9099