On 05/02/2014 03:06 PM, Bill Woody wrote:
Did I leave my punch cards at the last meeting?

I'm sorry Bill. I believe I missed the announcement for the 150TB hard disks.

So long as LTO cartridges were the same volume and more expensive than comparable hard drives (RDX), tapes became the dinosaur Bill describes. LTO drive $3000-$6000 and $60-$100 for a 6TB tape compared to a 6TB SATA hard disk for $300-$600. Obviously, a backup scheme requires more than one tape or more than one disk.

BTW - 12TB on one spindle???   <shudder>

So the viability of any new tape technology has to make the above economic dynamic work in its favor. Likewise, the time it takes to WRITE 150TB to the drive has to be within somebodies' backup window.

The speed of light is a constant...

Howard

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NLUG" group.